Thursday, July 1, 2010

If I were his World Cup Chef: Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal)

This story is #17 of 32, in my "If I were their World Cup Chef" series. Each post honors one world football player from each of the 32 national teams at the 2010 World Cup in South Africa. As my muses, each inspires a recipe that I am privileged to offer as my gift ... to thank them for making the world more beautiful.

If you are following the Original LA Farmers Market/Monsieur Marcel recipe series, the end of recipe has grocery shopping tips.

Portugal is out. I know.

Cristiano Ronaldo however, never really is.

Of all 736 original players in the tournament, he is likely the one with the highest profile, highest salary, and one of the most fan-popular. Read on please, he is also the generous and open-hearted one, even though non-fans might doubt that.

At 25, Portugal’s captain and Real Madrid’s superstar is not only a world-renowned and top-class player, he is author of his own autobiography, Emporio Armani’s new model, and with his sister, owns two fashion boutiques called CR7. His often-stunning head-to-torso (sometimes even head-to-toe!) image is iconic the world over.

When he was 12 he began playing with Portuguese giants Sporting CP’s youth clubs, requiring he leave home to be in Lisbon. He was signed by England’s Manchester United at age 18, has since won all kinds of titles and awards in Europe, and is hailed as the best player in Manchester United’s history. In summer 2009 he was handed his #9 Real Madrid jersey, cheered by 80,000 fans.

In another life, he is the baby of a family that is extremely important to him. His older brother, two sisters, and especially his mom, are very close in heart and still protective of the child they all raised in a very small, humble home in Madeira. He was named Ronaldo by his father who admired Ronald Reagan. His father died about 5 years ago of alcoholism so, he does not drink at all.

When I first began researching my prospective muses, I found an article about him, written by the owner of a children’s soccer camp who was associated with Portugal’s national team. The story unfolded, through a series of complicated events, that this man was called upon to connect a certain teenager, Brandon, dying of cancer, with his idol Cristiano Ronaldo. Long story short, Ronaldo called Brandon on a day his family was present, and followed up with texts to encourage the young man. Upon Brandon’s death, as condolences he sent his boots and jersey which were later bronzed at the boy’s mausoleum, with his moving telegram message to the family. On the very last page of his daily journal, Brandon had written, I spoke to Ronaldo, I can now go to heaven.

My beautiful muse is feeling broken after Portugal's loss to Spain on Tuesday. While he loves to cook, I'm sure that if I made something amazing for him he would just feel so much better.

His home Madeira is an island located in the Atlantic not far from Morocco, so I'm already thinking sweet and spicy. Then, yes, his fitness trainer only allows moderate portions of dessert, and only after lunch.

Afternoons work for me.

If I were his World Cup Chef, I would pinch the idea of traditional Madeira honey cake, and sensualize it up with juicy peaches, scarlet plums, and dreamy spiced cream on top.

How sweet would it be to serve it up in bite-size pieces as finger food?

That would be my job.

Summer Afternoon Special (I mean, Peaches and Cream Cake), for Cristiano Ronaldo

1/3 cup water
1/3 cup sugar
1 1/2 Tbsp cornstarch
2 1/2 cups fresh chopped peaches
1/2 cup fresh chopped red plums

Whisk water, sugar, cornstarch until smooth in medium saucepan. Place over medium-high heat, stir until slightly thickened, about 3-5 minutes. Add fruit pieces, and stir until mixture is heated through, about 5 more minutes.

Preheat oven to 400F degrees. Coat 8-inch square glass baking pan with cooking spray. Pour cooked fruit mixture into pan; prepare cake batter.

1 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
1 egg
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup whole milk
1/2 cup (1 cube) unsalted butter, melted, slightly cooled

Combine first 6 ingredients in large mixing bowl. In medium bowl, whisk remaining ingredients. Blend gradually into dry mixture, incorporating all ingredients well until smooth. Spread cake batter evenly over fruit in pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until cake tester comes out clean / cake is lightly browned on top. Let cool completely.

With electric mixer, beat 1/2 cup heavy cream with 3 Tbsp powdered sugar, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg, until stiff peaks form. Top cake with whipped cream. Serve in desired manner ... Yields 2 generous servings with leftovers.

Where to shop ~
for specialty ingredients and pantry staples, I love
Monsieur Marcel
for produce, Farm Fresh and Farm Boy Produce
for breads/pastries, Thee's Continental Pastries,
Monsieur Marcel, Breadworks
for fresh seafood, Bob Tusquellas Seafood Market
for meats, Huntington Meats, Marconda's Meats
for things hot, Light My Fire

2 comments:

Ana Gomes said...

You couldn't have chosen better than cake. Very Portuguese!

As frustrated as I get with Ronaldo in the national team, I have a lot of respect for the boy. He is a good person and has shown his generosity through the years, ever since he was 10 or 12 and offered to share his bed in the Sporting academy with his friend for whom there was no space.

thanks Diane, loving SportsBites!

Chef Di said...

Ana! How lovely of you to post a comment, I love that I made a good choice with cake, everything always comes to me intuitively! Thank you for reading my SportsBites and your kind support!!