Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Euro Cup and Cream of Wheat

This month's oomo (see my post on Objects of my Obsession for more on that) pretty much keeps getting better and better. 

My week, as I've stated earlier, has not been one of the best on record and there are those of us who, oh I don't know, cook something up, to make ourselves feel better. 

If you saw the movie Sex and the City, or even if you didn't...there is a scene where our heroine is being spoon-fed some breakfast by one of her friends. She's had a really bad fall and they take such wonderful care of her. I was whining last week to my friends that I would not mind at all if someone spoon-fed me some breakfast right now.

My point - it looks as though she's being spoon-fed some creamy white cereal, and it reminded me of Cream of Wheat, the hot cereal that I ate as a child, and one of my favorite kid meals.

My mom used to make eating it really fun for us. She'd tint it with a little food color - blue one morning, green the next, then pink, etc - and we'd eat it with milk and sugar. And all would be right with the world.

So I've been thinking of how I need to go buy some Cream of Wheat, not even sure if they still sell it...but I could get very used to a habit of creamy white bland cereal right about now, even if it's already getting warm at 8 in the morning. Never mind. I need that comfort right now.

Last night I found it. Expensive! But there. The red box with the little man-chef smiling at me. My only choice was the original 2 1/2 minute recipe. I hugged it all the way home.

Euro Cup sidebar: Italy vs. France at 11:45 today. This was a do-or-die match which had a lot to do with both teams being in Group C - The Group of Death. And France is their nemesis, to put it mildly. Italy had to win today, or pack their sorry bags and go home. If they did win, they'd advance to the quarterfinals which begin later this week.

So, it occurred to me, this morning, why not, oh I don't know, tint my Cream of Wheat blue

Because France might wear blue jerseys today. This happens sometimes; their national jersey is blue and so is Italy's.

Oh.

Well then, I'm clever, I can think of something else. 

How about the Italian Flag? Green, white, red.

I made my little pot of cream of wheat, put some cereal in one bowl to tint it red. Some in a second bowl to tint it green. The remainder, white, in the pot.

Now the tricky part was getting the three colors to sit just so in my cereal bowl, but they did, for just a minute. It was beautiful.

I blew a kiss, to my Italian team that I just love, and enjoyed my cereal, all mixed up (so pretty!) with sugar and milk.

France wore blue jerseys today. Italy wore white. With little Italian flag emblems on them.

Italy beat France 2-0.

Color me happy.


1 comment: