Tuesday, September 15, 2009

If I were his Chef: Cesar Izturis




Actually I kind of was his chef, in the summer of 2005 when Sushi Chef Extraordinaire Travis Kamiyama and I were regular in-clubhouse caterers for the Dodger players and staff. (I was the dessert chef, for the record). Cesar (whose name is spelled with an accent on the ‘e’) was their starting shortstop at the time and, one of our favorite and best guests.

Even before we met him, he was an LA fan favorite, having played for the Dodgers since 2002.

I seem to remember that it was even “Cesar Izturis Bobblehead Night” when we were there and I can still recall his sheepish, humble smile when we tried to make a big deal out of it. He really didn’t want to talk much about it. He was adorable, and still is.

He was a Gold Glove Award winner in 2004 and an All-Star in 2005, both times for outstanding shortstop. He was teammates for a while with 2nd baseman Alex Cora, and together they turned some of the most spectacular double-plays I've ever seen in the game. When Alex Cora left, my heart broke because I was afraid Cesar might be next to go.

He left the Dodgers in 2006 to join the Chicago Cubs, then spent one year each with the Pittsburgh Pirates and St. Louis Cardinals. This season he is with the Baltimore Orioles ...

... which brings me to my story about wanting to be his Chef.

With the regular season schedule of Major League Baseball wrapping up, I thought that someone(s) might need some extra comfort and TLC right about now. At the time this story is going to print, the Baltimore Orioles and the Washington Nationals are 34 and 32.5 games behind first place, respectively, in the AL East and the NL East.

And Cesar Izturis on the Orioles roster.

Oh no, I’m thinking. He so deserves some comfort at the table right now.

I know that his roots, and offseason home are in Venezuela. He is from Barquisimeto, located in the west-central part of the country, which has a strong European (especially Italian) population and influence.

One of his fellow Venezuelans and friends (whom I believe he knew before their time in LA together) is Giovanni Carrara, who was a pitcher for the Dodgers at that hour. The two buddies played cards in the clubhouse while we served sushi and I used to ask each of them if I could help them cheat? (“Want me to tell you what cards he has?”)

While tempted I am sure (LOL!), neither of the gentlemen really ever took me up on the offer. (For the record.)

When he’s not on the field (or playing cards), I trust he is enjoying time with his beautiful family, his wife and two children - a son and daughter.

Or, maybe comparing notes with his half-brother Maicer, who plays shortstop for the LA Angels. I have loved the rare occasions where the two brothers have been on the field at the same time. Maicer was featured in a story I did for (the former) Estylo magazine, about a few of the LA Angels and their favorite foods. Someday I would love to chat them up together, to learn more about their family stories of food from home.

Wouldn’t it be nice to get to go to Venezuela to do that in person? I think it would.

Meanwhile here and now, if I were Cesar’s chef, I’d indulge him with some homemade dessert. I know he likes spicy tuna (or tuna tataki...I can't remember which it is) handrolls and, that one of his own family recipes is made with black beans and spaghetti but, I just think that a little something sweet ranks right up there with foods that just make everything all better.

Slightly sweet corn pancakes - cachapas - are a delicious signature in Venezuela. They are usually topped or rolled with cheese, and a soft, creamy variety or even crumbled feta is used. This specialty is a popular street food and appetizer.

To compliment my adaptation of a local corn pancake recipe for dessert, here I’ve whisked a little sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon into Italian mascarpone (cream cheese). A little spoonful to top each warm pancake melts slightly, and offers both a rich and delicate finish. The pinch of spice and the softness of it all would ideally cradle and comfort Cesar’s heart and spirit (and those of his teammates), which is exactly the pure intention I’d prepare it with.

If all that didn’t resonate, well then ... I’d just have to offer my best homemade chocolate chip cookies, made with love. Those always went over big in the Dodgers clubhouse.

Corn pancakes with Sweet Mascarpone cheese, for Cesar Izturis

Make pancakes:
4 cups tender corn kernels
1/2 cup milk
1/3 cup sugar
1 egg
1 cup flour
2 Tbsp butter
Combine first 5 ingredients until smooth and creamy. Heat pancake griddle to medium-high heat. Melt 1 Tbsp butter on griddle. Pour small amounts of batter to yield about 6 pancakes for first batch. Cook about 1-2 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Transfer to plate and keep warm. Repeat process with remaining butter and batter.

To serve, top each pancake with a little spoonful of cheese topping (recipe below) and enjoy warm. Yields about 12 pancakes.

Make cheese topping:
8 oz Mascarpone cheese
1 Tbsp powdered sugar
1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 tsp ground cinnamon
Whisk ingredients until creamy.


No comments: