Monday, September 7, 2009

If I were his Chef: Alberto Gilardino

On June 17, 2006, I didn't have to be at my sister-in-law's bridal shower until 3pm. I had plenty of time to be at the World Cup party to watch the Italy-US match before that. I did not know the latter would change my life...

With all due gratitude to my friend Jim Riggio for turning me on to the sport in the first place, I must give credit to Alberto "Gila" Gilardino for my passion for Italian football.

With all due respect to the American national team, I have to admit that I remember absolutely nothing about Team USA in that match. I laid eyes on Italy's national team ("gli Azzurri" = the blues/blue ones) and was fixated, in the best of ways, on blue jerseys for the duration.

Gila scored the first goal and to celebrate, he dropped to his knees and mimicked playing a violin (the photo here was taken that very instant). Everything stopped for his moment, by the way, then I'm sure his teammates charged him.

Mesmerized, amused, filled to the brim with awe and wonder, I fell in love.

I turned to those within earshot and said, "I'm done. Finished. In Love. Toast."

It took me a while to sort out what really happened for me. What I decided, was that I love romance, I love passion, I love beauty ... and his celebration seemed to encapsulate all three in one moment. I'd never seen anything like it in my life, especially at a sporting event.

I swear my DNA was altered at that moment and I've never been the same since.

(The match ended in a 1-1 draw, and Italy went on to win the World Cup, which as most of you know, explains a lot of things.)

As for Gila himself, he is originally from Biella ("bella" = beautiful in Italian; no coincidence I'm sure). His hometown is situated in a mountainous area of Piemonte, one of northern Italy's most spectacular food and wine regions.

He and his gorgeous wife Alice were married in Portofino. An advertising video of Portofino now features footage of their wedding to lure visitors to one of the most romantic ports-of-call in the world.

Their little daughter, not quite 2 years old, has an exquisite name that I'd never heard before - Ginevra. It sounds like the name of a delicate princess and, I trust she wears it accordingly!

In his professional life, Gila came up through the ranks of Verona and, Parma - like his teammate Sebastien Frey. He was with AC Milan for two seasons and is now in his second season with Fiorentina, doing incredibly well and is one of the club's biggest stars for certain.

Italy's national team has also called his services, and with the 2010 World Cup qualifying matches going on right now, I know I'm not the only one who anxiously anticipates more "violin" celebrations from him!

If I were his Chef, elegance and beauty would have to accentuate my offering, I couldn't do it any other way.

Gila's home region of Piemonte borders France and Switzerland. Its meals are flavor-rich, with signature high-end ingredients like truffles, wild mushrooms, red wines, and fine cheeses. Hearty meat dishes comfort in cold climates, especially near the mountains.

In this dish, I love representation from both Piemonte and Tuscany since he is from the former and, his current club is Florence's pride and joy.

Borrowing from the popular Bistecca Fiorentina, typically a grilled T-Bone steak seasoned with salt and pepper only, I've dolled up a steak dish with a little more color and, passion. The splash of purple is in honor of his club's Viola jerseys. (Purple potatoes can be found at farmers markets and many supermarkets now; they are prepared exactly as any other potato.) Seasonal sauteed vegetables - I love French green beans with mushrooms - add interest and balance to the plate. Serving it all with some warm, crusty bread and a bottle of Barbaresco red, makes the entire experience worthy of ... shall we say, a symphony?

Anything to get a certain purple - or blue - jersey to show up on my doorstep for dinner ...

Buon appetito!

Beef Tenderloin with Red Wine and Caramelized Onions, for Alberto Gilardino

Make caramelized onions:
1 Tbsp butter
One large red or white sweet onion
1 tsp sugar
Melt butter in large skillet over low heat. Add onions, stir to coat with butter, and sprinkle with s sugar. Cook over low-medium heat until browned and sweet, about 20-25 minutes. Transfer onions to dish, cover, keep warm. Maintain skillet seasoning and flame temperature for steaks.

Prepare beef:
1 Tbsp butter
2 beef tenderloin (filet mignon) steaks, about 4-6 oz. each
Freshly ground pepper and sea salt
1 cup red wine
Melt butter in same skillet as onions over low heat, season steaks with salt and pepper. Increase heat to high. Sear steaks on both sides, lower heat to medium, and cook until desired doneness. Remove steaks from pan, add wine. Deglaze pan by scraping brown bits with spoon. Cook for 2 minutes, add onions and steaks, and heat through.

Prepare servings:
Caramelized onions (recipe)
Prepared purple mashed potatoes
Prepared sauteed vegetables
Beef tenderloin (recipe)
Italian Gorgonzola cheese/Crumbled blue cheese (optional)
Warmed bread (optional)
Lightly coat the center of 2 serving plates with caramelized onion-wine sauce. Place mashed potatoes to the left, and vegetables to the right. Place steak in center, spoon a little more sauce over. If desired, place a small piece of Gorgonzola (the Italian imported will not crumble as it is too creamy) or, crumble a little domestic blue cheese over the entire serving. Enjoy with fresh bread. Yields 2 servings.

No comments: