Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Pan-Latin football and my friend Jaime

I laugh as I start to write this.

This week, with absolute, pure intention to put a quality radio show out there, I have studied 
CONCACAF, which is the Confederation of North&Central America and Caribbean football. This month the quarterfinals of their Champions Cup begin, and this is fascinating to me. This Cup tournament is like the UEFA Champions League going on in Europe right now. All of a sudden I have a new league to be extremely excited about, and think about pairing food with, which is exactly what my show topic is for tomorrow.

In the throws of all this, I desperately message my friend Jaime, who is with Frieda's Specialty Produce and ask him to be my call-in guest. Tonight, as I am so wanting to lose myself and all my anxiety in my yoga practice, the phone rings, and it's Jaime.

Our conversation spans the map, literally, from Champions League to CONCACAF to his half-Italian intern from Costa Rica, who would have been a good guest had he more time to set it up for me!!!  OK, I'm sorry I beg, next time I'll give more notice. (It's not easy coming up with a show theme and keeping all sorts of other things in the air at the same time. I try to explain this to Jaime.)

Would I consider this, that, the other thing for show themes?? Jaime is just trying to help, for which I adore him. We promise that soon, somehow, some way, we will work together. And he also encourages me to believe that I will be moving on up to SIRIUS satellite radio one day. Perfetto!

Almost an hour later, after an extremely entertaining conversation - it always is with him - I abandon the yoga, and go prepare a steak and huge chopped salad for dinner because I'm starving.

The two French guys are home from their little field trip today which I can only guess included being out in the sun because they apparently brought no sunscreen. Other than having to give them directions on the phone this afternoon - like I had all kinds of time for that - then help them rent a car for the next two days, we have not spoken much considering most all of the conversations are in French. One friend wrote to ask how it's going with two French guys and I told her it's actually kinda boring since I am not spending any time with them and other than that, everything so far is pretty much all about them. We all watched the Champions League match yesterday with Milan and Arsenal yesterday and only one of us was for Milan, who lost and was eliminated. (I should be wearing black.) Then they left for the day. I didn't miss them.

I wrote another friend that I would consider wringing at least one neck around here (read my previous post) but considering I'd have to clean up the mess afterwards, it hardly seems worth it. 

They've just come and gone to get a burger or something and now want me to have a 'cocktail' with them. 

One guess who the bartender is.

That half-Italian Costa Rican intern is sounding kinda good to me about now.

More later, ciao.




No comments: