Tuesday, May 20, 2008

As you want...

Come vuole. Two of my favorite Italian words when strung together. 

As you want. They also sound pretty good in English too. 

I love you
I miss you
I'm waiting for you/I'll be waiting
My pleasure
and
Back to bed ...

Sigh...all of these little strings of words in my opinion just sound...beautiful.

But back to As you want...

It was brought to my attention by someone close to me, that I talk about a lot about soccer on my SportsBites radio show and, people "here" don't care about soccer. They don't want to hear about it. They don't get the soccer channels on TV. They want to hear about American sports, like they talk about on all the other sportsradio shows.

Their case in point was, I shouldn't spend that much time on soccer.

Hm.

This reminded me immediately of Hugh Grant's and Sandra Bullock's characters in Two Weeks Notice when she insists that "all men" think or do something, and he asks her, "How do you know? Do you know every single man? Have you asked every single man if he does/thinks that?" And of course she has to say no.

Then I was reminded (after this conversation ended, about the feedback on too much soccer) of when I had a little freelance stint with a local beach newspaper, to write "SportsBites" and I regularly wrote about Europe, especially Italy and, their sports/events/athletes. I was asked, about one year ago, to not write about Europe any more, and write only on local sports. 

Hm. (My thought at the time.)

I could have said a lot of things in response (and come to think of it, could say a lot of things right now) but, I took the high road and wrote a farewell column called "Time to Say Goodbye", exited stage right, and began doing a radio show chatting up as much of Europe and Euro sports as I wanted.

So it occurs to me yet again, as it did last year....do we, as artists, do what we do for others, or for ourselves? Really, the answer is a no-brainer.

When I do my show each week, it is the hour I feel most alive. Whatever inspires me, whatever I talk about, especially if it's Euro or Italian football (soccer), or food, or baseball, or the Giro d'Italia going on right now - this week's show theme - I about feel like I'm going to jump out of my skin I am so excited. It seems to me, that only good can come from that kind of passion. 

I've been told my listenership is expanding and steadily growing. That sounds and feels good.

The show will become even more and more international-oriented. World sports and world cuisine fascinate me and you can guess that I am not in the mood to stop what I love doing.
I do not do well when tweaking who I am, to make others more comfortable or solicit their approval. It is painful. Excruciating might be a better word to describe how it feels when I'm asked to do that.

First thing this morning I found this quote in my email:

"If all the great artists, inventors, mystics, educators, and geniuses of history, waited for the world to understand, accept, and be ready for them, we would still be in the Stone Age."

Here's another pearl:

"You have never really liked being told what to do."

A few years ago there was a brilliant sports story about an exceptional high school athlete, who had only one hand. He was a pitcher at Mater Dei, and was aggressively sought after by college after college.

The young man talked about how everyone once told him he couldn't be an athlete - for gods' sake, he only had one hand! When asked how he dealt with such seeming ignorance, inconsideration, and lack of encouragement, he indicated that his philosophy was the following.

Just ignore what everyone else says, and do what you want.

I am eternally grateful to this fine young man who summed up the clearest code I live by, in a single sentence.


No comments: