Saturday, May 24, 2008

That De-Cluttering Thing

It is Saturday morning of Memorial Day weekend, and it's raining.

This - a little reminiscent of when, it seemed like every Memorial weekend our family planned to go camping, it looked on the Friday like it was going to pour rain and our trip would be cancelled. I remember once driving up to the mountains anyway and the skies were clear and blue and our weekend was fabulous. I also remember another time, arriving at our destination where it was freezing cold, we huddled in our tent trailer to play games most of the time, I walked our doxie to work up some body heat...and finally it snowed. So we packed up camp, drove home, and ate Burger King Whoppers for dinner.

Yes. And now in fact I usually don't travel on this weekend anymore, unless I am already in Sicily like I was last year where it was hot and sunny on the Saturday and poured rain on the Sunday and Monday, come to think of it...but this weekend I am staying close to home because I have self-committed to the dreaded task of, de-cluttering.

For months Antoine has asked me to get rid of my now-former-office in our living room. Since I can use my MacBook from anywhere now, including the floor of the living room, I no longer need the ugly desk and its entourage of papers, accessories, etc., that uglify that corner of the room. I have gotten rid of the desktop that was there, so it's not like I haven't gotten started.

(The 8x10 framed AC Milan team photo does get to stay, somehow, some way though - to his chagrin I'm sure - because it is a constant reminder to me of how much beauty is in the world.)

I have, to my credit, cleaned out my file drawers over there and have put other things in relatively neat boxes and, do have plans to shop with my friend Tina tomorrow to perhaps find some other receptacles that I can live with, to store things...Meanwhile, my room has yet again, an overflowing dresser of clothes and things I think I need most of but since everything is just thrown in there at the moment I'm not entirely sure. Then there's the closet "filled with all Diane's shoes" Antoine once advised another visiting French guy (I wish, was my response to that inaccuracy) that really does need another ruthless clean sweep (but most of the shoes will make the cut).

What I really would like to do is purge everything in this whole place, and start all over again. That would just be so freeing, so .... different. Lots of people have new homes and don't furnish them right away. I could very very very very very easily do that. I probably would keep my bed, the TV (because Euro Cup starts 2 weeks from today), and the refrigerator you know, because SportsBites is my signature.

It's 10:08 and the fun really must begin shortly. I think I'll put some coffee on and if it's not raining too terribly, I'll duck out now and walk over to the French bakery to buy the day's baguette. I'll pretend like I'm in France.

I'm sure that will make everything else that waits for me back here at De-Clutter Central so much easier to deal with.








No comments: