Friday, July 24, 2009

If I were his Chef: Albert Hannemann

There is a lot to be said for cosmic winks.

Signs from The Universe, that is...that say, "YES. Carry on. You're on the right path."

A week ago on my food tour, I had the pleasure of hosting a beautiful couple from Florida. I learned later from my other tour guests that he was a volleyball player, which explained why he was so incredibly fit. They had been in LA to enjoy the Manhattan Beach Open.

On my drive home that day, I revisited wonderful memories of having spent time with Albert Hannemann and his cousin Eric Fonoimoana of the AVP (Association of Volleyball Professionals) over the past few years. Eric has since retired, and Albert is still with the AVP tour. Just yesterday at the top of my Facebook news feed, was a post from him about this weekend's Hermosa Open.

That was my cosmic wink. For a week now, Albert has been my "muse" for this #3 in my series of 23 "If I were their Chef" stories.

It was my joy and privilege to be associated with both of these men, and last year I hosted them on (the April 24 episode of) my SportsBites radio show. Albert "popped in" to join Eric and surprised me at the last minute. I listened to the archived show the other day and had to laugh, again, at how excited I was to hear his voice on the line.

Now this (story and recipe) is my surprise to him (shh, don't tell!).

"Al-B" has been with the AVP since 1993, and is a native of Redondo Beach. His Gobeachfest and Volleyball Vacations companies have kept life prosperous, fascinating, and certainly beautiful for him, with excursions to exotic destinations like Turks and Caicos Islands. He has also done his share of modeling and media-spokesperson apperances and promotions.

When he's not awe-inspiring fans on the sand or in front of the camera, he is making a profound difference in the lives of children in the community. He has been a Big Brother, and coaches volleyball for Boys&Girls Clubs in LA and Venice. The foundation Dig 4 Kids, in which he supports his cousin Eric, is committed to improving the lives of less-privileged youth, through education and exercise. A few years ago I volunteered to work with their class at a school in Carson as an after-school tutor. The children and I read, wrote, chatted up SpongeBob and Dodgers baseball. I had tremendous fun being surrounded by 10-year-olds! I positively loved it and was particularly inspired by Albert and Eric and the impact they had on the children. Because of their contributions - their so generously sharing who they are and their remarkable gifts - so many more children are choosing to stay in school. And so many more now have a passion for volleyball, which has changed their lives - all for the better.

On my radio show, we had to give food and family its fair time and attention. I learned he and his wife are proud parents of 3 little girls, the youngest of which (I believe) celebrated her first birthday earlier this year. We talked about family traditions and he told me that Wednesdays and Saturdays are "Candy Days" in their home; those are the days his daughters can have a piece of candy. (He knows he's hard-core!) We all laughed but seriously he said they aren't inclined toward soda pop, sweets, junk food, etc., because they're not habits. Like father, like daughters.

When I asked "what do you miss from home?" when traveling, knowing his professional schedule can be grueling, his response warmed my heart. Over the years he has made so many friends from his Volleyball Vacations, that he's more than welcome I trust, to stay in private homes when travelling with the AVP.

"So I get to have the home-cooked meals," he said, with great joy. "And that has been so nice. It's made a huge difference for me." And I'm sure for his hosts as well.

Now, if I were his Chef, I would definitely want to honor his outstanding career, and be clever (a nod to his versatility) and healthy about it at the same time. I'd also need to create something reminiscent of summer and the beach.

There was a news story last weekend about the lot of squid that were washing up on California beaches, and it got me thinking about (black) squid ink pasta. I just noticed on his FB page that he is associated with a volleyball group in Italy, so he might appreciate this Ligurian gourmet signature. The colors of the AVP volleyball and logo are black, white, and yellow.

This pasta dish goes vegetarian but, shrimp or chicken breast would be nice substitutes. Yellow summer pattypan squash is brimming on fresh farmers markets' tables at this hour, and is delicious grilled, as is your choice of protein. This whole dish is simple and fabulous, laced with fresh lemon and a drizzle of fine olive oil. If you're not able to find squid ink pasta, just use the white. Finish to serve with a generous fresh grind of black pepper ... you get the idea ...

Black&White Pasta with Yellow Summer Squash, for Albert Hannemann

1/2 lb squid ink pasta (available in Italian or gourmet specialty markets)
1/2 lb linguine pasta
Extra-virgin olive oil, salt, pepper for brushing
1 lb. extra-firm tofu, cut in 6 slices
1 lb. yellow pattypan squash, stems trimmed; cut in 1/2" thick slices
Juice and zest of 3 fresh lemons
about 3 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2-3 cups white wine or vegetable broth, or mix of both
2 Tbsp butter
Freshly ground black pepper
Sea salt to taste

Cook black and white pasta together in large stockpot of rapidly boiling water, until al dente; drain and set aside.

Prepare grill for high heat. (You may wish to line grill with foil.) Brush tofu and squash slices with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place on grill and cook until marked and soft. Sprinkle with a little lemon juice/toss with zest as pieces are removed from grill. Let cool slightly, then slice tofu and squash into thin strips.

In large skillet, heat 3 Tbsp olive oil and add garlic over medium heat. Stir garlic through the oil, then add remaining lemon juice and zest. Add about 2 cups wine or broth, and bring to a boil. Let liquid reduce slightly by cooking over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes. Swirl butter and let melt into sauce. Taste and adjust seasoning with desired salt and pepper.

Add pasta, tofu, and squash to pan. Stir gently to heat all ingredients through. Transfer to serving bowl and garnish with black pepper and a final drizzle of olive oil if desired.

Yields 4-6 servings.

No comments: