Thursday, July 9, 2009

If I were his Chef: Brad Ausmus

MLB: APR 21 Dodgers at AstrosBaseball is the theme I’ve chosen to start with, in my new “If I were their Chef” series. I intend to write about athletes from all over the world in these stories and create a recipe for each of them; a total of 23 by December 31, 2009. Baseball is my favorite American sport, the one I grew up with and, I believe that all good things begin at home.

The Dodgers' Brad Ausmus is one of America’s Sweethearts, and I think he ought to be recognized as such.

Born and raised in Connecticut, he is an Ivy League graduate of Dartmouth college. His Major League Baseball career has delighted home fans in San Diego, Detroit, and Houston, and now his presence graces Los Angeles. We are so lucky.

He is and has always been a catcher, and like many great catchers, he is a true class-act and seems to magnetize the respect and admiration of nearly everyone. Having been his fan for years, I’ve seen him - more than once - be the first to speak highly of fellow players, including those being scrutinized in the press. He is an award-winning and exemplary player, teammate, positive role model, and the happily married father of two little girls he naturally adores.

He is also incredibly handsome (see photo)! When Diane Sawyer was once going to throw out a ceremonial first pitch to him, she was so nervous and excited she was nearly giddy with giggles. When he learned this, he said he was honored that she felt that way about him, and that meeting her was his privilege.

I had my own privilege of meeting him personally in 2005, when we were hired to cater sushi for his Houston Astros, after a summer Sunday game at Dodger Stadium. He came into the dining area to survey the sushi and confirmed with me all the varieties. (“These are crunch rolls? This is spicy tuna?”) I was impressed, and so excited to have that fun little conversation with him. (I didn’t giggle.)

When the team left the stadium that afternoon, for San Diego, he was still hanging out in the locker room.

“Why did they leave you behind?” I asked him calmly (but really, I was so excited to speak with him again). I couldn’t imagine why they’d do that and I think I told him so!

For years, he has lived in San Diego. He told me that he was going to be driving home, I trust with his family. I learned later that he is an avid surfer, when a friend showed me a feature about “a baseball player from San Diego” in his surfing magazine. Apparently he plans to surf for the rest of his life, when he retires from baseball.

So if I were his Chef, I would set something very California on the table. This recipe is quick-to-prepare with fresh, clean flavors, and has both a classy and sweet element. I created it imagining that he might prefer more time around the table with his family over fussing at the grill. He did say, regarding his daughters and the future of his career, "I could blink and I’ll be at their high school graduation. I don’t want to miss out on everything."

BBQ Glazed Chicken Medallions with Sweet Summer Salsa, for Brad Ausmus

1/2 cup ketchup
3 Tbsp Dijon mustard
1/4 cup maple syrup
Chipotle or Tabasco hot sauce, to taste
Salt and pepper, to taste
Whisk ingredients together for barbecue sauce.

1 lb. boneless chicken breasts, sliced on the diagonal (about 1"-thick slices)

1 white nectarine, pitted, diced
1 yellow peach, pitted, diced
1 pickling (small) cucumber, peeled
1/4 cup diced red onion
3 Tbsp cilantro leaves, chopped
2 Tbsp fresh mint leaves, chopped
Juice of one lime
Salt and white pepper to taste

Choice of tortillas, flatbread, pita pocket bread
Avocado mashed with extra-virgin olive oil and sea salt, optional
Shredded lettuce or cabbage, optional

Prepare grill for high heat. Place chicken pieces on grill. Turn after about 5 mins, just as they begin to mark, and coat pieces generously with barbecue sauce. Continue to grill and baste, turning again, for about 5 more minutes. When pieces are "firm" they are cooked. Combine salsa ingredients; taste and adjust seasonings. Remove chicken from grill, heat bread/tortillas on grill; they will pick up seasonings and be delicious!

Enjoy all fillings wrapped or tucked in tortillas/breads. Yields 4 servings.

(Recipe photo to show up at a later date!)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love meeting Brad through your eyes and stories! Not a baseball fan myself, but he sounds like an inspiring player. Thank you diane! Absolutely scrumptious choice of dish! Being a vegetarian myself, any thoughts on a substitute for the chicken?

Chef Di said...

Mmm, well since the protein is kind of the main event here...what about tofu? Tofu, drained well, and cut in thick slices then on the diagonal as for the chicken would 'simulate' the chicken, and those 'medallions' could be glazed on the grill just like the chicken. I would use extra firm or firm tofu, it would yield the best results and, would be really delicious combined all the other fillings.

Shift to Meaning said...

Your article was magical. Brad as you describe him is a sweetheart and I could just imagine him being transported by the dish you have created for him. I see you now, Diane, stepping fully into one of your many gifts...a wizard providing transformative culinary experiences. I just hope Brad gets to taste your dish someday !!

Chef Di said...

Wow, Max, thank you so much! So do I! I really hope to make people fall in love with these 'muses' of mine, that's the idea. I hope readers will wait in great anticipation for the next story because they're going to get better and better!