Tuesday, July 14, 2009

If I were his Chef: Sebastien Frey

Tuesday (14 July) was Bastille Day, the French national holiday. Years ago, this did not mean much to me, but it does now that I have extended family and friends in France that I adore. I like to celebrate the day by making Salad Nicoise, then wishing someone would make me a Parisian nutella crepe.

In my short tenure as tifosa (a rabid Italian soccer fan, feminine), I've learned that when it comes to world football, France and Italy really do not like each other. At all. This is really too bad, since I love being Italian and have a passion for things French.

Regarding the pleasures in life, I prefer the code "yes and more" (as in, bring them on) as opposed to "either-or" (as in, having to choose between them). So I love finding ways to appreciate the best of both the Italian and French worlds. At the same time? All the better.

Two words: Sebastien Frey. (In Europe, there is an accent over the first 'e' in Sebastien.)

I think this French-born goalkeeper for Italy's Fiorentina football club adds his own brand to "the world's most beautiful game". Certain French friends encouraged me to fall in love with their national players, and suggested I start with him but, I was one up on them. Frey is so good at what he does and is so much fun to watch that when a Fiorentina match is televised when I am home, I feel like the gods are being particularly kind to me that day.

He was born in the Rhone-Alpes region of southeastern France, not far from northwestern Italy.
Only the first two years of his professional career were spent in Cannes, and he has played in Italy since 1998. His grandfather and father were professional footballers, and his younger brother also plays in Italy.

Lovable on and off the field, he and his very pretty wife Roberta have a son and daughter. He is known for his bizarre hairstyles (and sometimes sideburns; see photo), and I can't wait for the new season to begin in late August, hoping we won't disappoint. The way he speaks Italian can only be described one way: silky.

Colorful Italian jerseys in Milano, Parma, Verona, and now Firenze (Florence) have all been worn with his signature style and grace. We see that he also clearly chooses his food cities well.

If I were his Chef, I couldn't not create something incredibly delicious and sexy with a touch of romance, because I love this man.

I'd take Italian tiramisu and twist it up with chocolate&raspberry, which marriage I love as much as French&Italian. If anyone can do chocolate and raspberry just right, it's the French; I'd use imported dark chocolate and Chambord liqueur. Italy's dreamy, creamy tiramisu absolutely matches la sensualita (Italian for sensuality) that Sebastien Frey exudes. In fact, I recommend fingers as utensils.

Classic tiramisu is typically made in a straight-edged pan, cut, and eaten in neat squares. Do that if you must. Mine would be prepared in my red heart-shaped ceramic dish (true story) and served with ... whatever is handy.

Buon appetito, bon appetit!

Chocolate-Raspberry Tiramisu for Sebastien Frey

Make raspberry sauce:
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup water
1 pint fresh raspberries, about 1 cup
Make simple syrup by combining sugar and water in saucepan until sugar is dissolved. Pour over raspberries in bowl, let cool. Press raspberries and syrup through fine mesh strainer. Discard solids, place strained raspberry syrup in saucepan and add the following:
1 Tbsp cornstarch
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp cinnamon
Heat until boiling and sauce thickens. Remove from heat and stir in:
2 Tbsp vanilla or Chambord liqueur or Amaretto
1 Tbsp butter

Make sweet cheese mixture:
3 egg yolks
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup sugar
2 Tbsp vanilla or liqueur
Beat eggs with milk and sugar until dissolved. Place over double boiler, bring to boil, stir for about one minute. Cover and refrigerate. When cooled, whisk in:
8 oz mascarpone (Italian cream cheese)
until smooth and creamy. Set aside.

Make creamy chocolate mixture:
8 oz heavy whipping cream
2 Tbsp powdered sugar
3 oz dark chocolate, melted
3 Tbsp cold espresso
Beat cream until stiff. Whisk in sugar, chocolate, espresso; combine gently and thoroughly.

16 ladyfingers
1 pint fresh raspberries, about 1 cup

Make tiramisu:
Dip each ladyfinger in raspberry sauce. Place cookies side-by-side in 8" or 9" glass or ceramic deep baking dish (or something like it). Spread with half the sweet cheese mixture. Sprinkle half of the fresh raspberries, press gently into sweet cheese. Top with half the creamy chocolate mixture. Repeat layers, starting with dipped cookies and ending with the chocolate mixture.

Refrigerate for at least 3 hours.

Yields dessert for two, and leftovers for breakfast.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love how you bring the players to life diane! I love the sensory feel of this truly delicious piece on Sebastien Frey. I can hear the beautiful, "silky" voice in my ear and taste the warm richness of dark chocolate and raspberries together!

Merci beaucoup my sweet friend!

Nicola

Chef Di said...

You are so dear! You get the means to my madness!! Thank you so much, and yes, I think I'd love to hear his voice while eating this, hmmm, hadn't thought of that til now, yum!

Shift to Meaning said...

What a truly sensual article, Diane. Your deep appreciation for these sports figures is "delicious" not to mention your chocolate and raspberry tiramisu creation. With your description of this delightful dessert, I felt like I could practically taste it. Yummm indeed !!
Max