Tuesday, June 8, 2010

If I were his World Cup Chef: David Villa (Spain)

This story is #9 of 32, in my "If I were their World Cup Chef" series. Each post honors one world football player from each of the 32 national teams at the 2010 World Cup in South Africa. As my muses, each inspires a recipe that I am privileged to offer as my gift ... to thank them for making the world more beautiful.

If you are following the Original LA Farmers Market/Monsieur Marcel recipe series, the end of recipe has grocery shopping tips.

A very nice problem I’ve had writing this series is to select one muse from Spain’s national team. I took a little poll of fellow tifosi, especially lady fans and, my intuition led me (not so surprisingly) to David Villa. The more I learned about him, the more enamored I became.

In UEFA Euro 2008 my first love, Italy, was eliminated by Spain with the help of David Villa. He and his national team became my consolation prize, and the champions of that tournament. Many consider Spain the best team in Europe and wish their opponents luck, in this World Cup.

Barcelona just transferred this prolific striker in from Valencia. At 28, he feels he’s now with one of the world’s best clubs, in his prime. He is universally revered for his amazing talent and humility and, he and his very beautiful (childhood sweetheart) wife are parents of two gorgeous little girls. He and his Spanish teammates are very generous and supportive of charity causes.

In case there was any part of David Villa is it I didn’t understand, I was guided to this yummy video, starring him as The Blaze, with Zidane and Messi. Done deal.

The son of a coal miner, he was encouraged by his father at a very young age to play football. As a little boy, he suffered a serious injury to his right leg and his father worked diligently with him to build strength in his left leg. Now he is an ambidextrous footballer, which is extremely rare. He regards his dad as sort of a guardian angel, always there for him. When he became disillusioned as teenager and wanted to give up, his father lent consistent encouragement while his career finally took flight.

One of the finest and classiest players in the game today, he wears one of my (also his) favorite numbers 7, both for Spain and Barcelona. He is beyond ready for his second World Cup.

I am beyond ready to cook for him.

My handsome hero is from Asturias in northern Spain. The region is long on coastline; fish and seafood are abundant. Fertile hillsides are heavily populated with sheep; cows and goat also contribute to the diversity and exquisite quality of cheeses available. About thirty varieties of apples are locally grown, and only certain selections yield the regional wine known as sidra (cider).

Famous local dishes like salmon in cider and sausage-bean stew are tugging for consideration here, while their incredible Cabrales blue cheese also deserves time and attention. Granted, our American apple cider isn't quite the same as the Spanish version, but it does give me something I can use.

If I were his World Cup Chef, I’d divine a seductive plate of small bites that highlight some of Asturias' signature ingredients, and finish it with a cider reduction. The mildly sweet would temper the spicy and salty ... just so.

See, at first I was torn choosing between David Villa, Cesc Fabregas, and Iker Casillas as my muse for Spain.

Now he can share.

Or, not.

Spanish Tapas Sampler, for David Villa

2 1/2 cups sparkling apple cider
1 baguette, thinly sliced
Extra-virgin olive oil, preferably Spanish
4 medium fingerling potatoes, sliced in thirds
Freshly ground sea salt and black pepper
Mediterranean or Spanish dried herb blend
1/2 lb. fresh king salmon
1 fresh orange, thinly sliced
2 Chorizo sausage links
Large tart apple, cored, peeled, sliced
Additional apple cider
1 cup cooked / canned fava beans, drained, mashed
1/3 lb. Cabrales or other fine Spanish or blue cheese

Boil cider in saucepan until it reduces to a syrupy glaze, about 30 minutes. Toast baguette slices, brush lightly with olive oil. Set glaze and toasts aside.

In preheated 425F oven, cook the following in separate shallow pans:
~ Potato pieces ~ lightly tossed with oil, salt, pepper. Roast until soft and edges are browned, about 20-25 minutes.
~ Salmon ~ sprinkled lightly with salt, pepper, herbs. Drizzle with oil and top with orange slices. Bake for 20 minutes. Gently flake fish into pieces.
~ Sausage ~ roast for 20 minutes. Add apple pieces to pan, splash with additional cider, roast additional 10 minutes. Slice sausages.

To prepare platter, spread toasts with mashed beans, top some with salmon pieces; top remainder with sausage and apple. Place desired amount of cheese to top potato pieces. Drizzle entire platter with cider glaze to serve. Yields 4 appetizer servings.

Where to shop ~
for specialty ingredients and pantry staples, I love
Monsieur Marcel
for produce, Farm Fresh and Farm Boy Produce
for breads, Thee's Continental Pastries,
Monsieur Marcel, Breadworks
for fresh seafood, Bob Tusquellas Seafood Market
for meats, Huntington Meats, Marconda's Meats
for things hot, Light My Fire

No comments: