Wednesday, June 2, 2010

If I were his World Cup Chef: Youann Gourcuff (France)


This story is #6 of 32, in my "If I were their World Cup Chef" series. Each post will honor one world football player from each of the 32 national teams at the 2010 World Cup in South Africa. As my muses, each will inspire a recipe that I am privileged to offer as my gift ... to thank them for making the world more beautiful.

If you are following the Original LA Farmers Market/Monsieur Marcel recipe series, the end of recipe has grocery shopping tips.

Even before I visited France last November, my heart had been tugging at me to write about one of its most swoonworthy men. One thing I did write home from that trip was that Youann Gourcuff est mon peche’ mignon. My new favorite expression means nice sin. Or so I've been told.

Youann Gourcuff is quite the pride and joy of one of my favorite countries, and he owns one of everything that I adore about my personal experience of French ~ beauty, grace, style, passion, romance (I understand he is newly in love), commitment to excellence, things incredibly delicious and, at times, irresistible sex appeal.

The young French darling is originally from the spectacular seaside region of Brittany in northwest France. Brittany is also the birthplace of two of France's most exquisite signatures ~ Crepes (sweet) and Galettes (savory). No coincidence I'm sure.

Fine athletic blood runs through his veins. His mother was a basketball player, and his older brother excelled at swimming and cycling. Youann's father Christian also played professional football in France, Switzerland, and Canada, and is now coach of Lorient, the Ligue 1 club where his son actually started his youth career. His professional career began in Rennes, France, then he played for 2 years with Italy's AC Milan (as you know, my favorite club so, this is when I first fell in love with him).

With Milan teammate Kaka', he was part of the adidas' Dream Big project two years ago, and coached very lucky children in the tiny country of San Marino to believe that Impossible is Nothing. Here is a favorite moment when one child spills something very important to her famous coach. (Gourcuff is in the dark clothing.)

While he didn't play that much during his two years with Milan, he scored an important goal that moved the club toward their winning the Champions League Final in May 2007. Since transferring to his current club Bordeaux, he has hit his stride and has been named both Ligue 1 Player of the Year and France Football Magazine's Player of the Year.

Now just this week there is much noise that both England's Arsenal and France's Lyon clubs are clamoring for his signature on dotted lines ... in each case for a very handsome ransom.

Ideally those distractions won't interfere with his smart, clever style of play. With great courage, energy and national pride, he takes on the playmaker role, left vacant by the retired French legend Zidane. And, his 24th birthday will be July 11, 2010 ~ the date of the World Cup Final.

Wouldn’t it be nice to celebrate his first World Cup and birthday? I think it would.

If I were his World Cup Chef, I’d make breakfast because that would just makes sense to she-who-swoons. I'd divine something like this deep red, spicy, syrupy sangria-esque fruit sauce that makes summer cherries more succulent and white nectarines blush ~ made from something fabulous like Bordeaux Superieur (note: additional intoxication at his table not really necessary). I’d top it with something creamy, finish it off with romantic almonds, and serve it with brioche brushed with just a little sweet butter ~ all very tempting things.

I would prepare it all with the tenderest of touches, and sweetly intend that it become ... a certain beautiful man’s favorite peche’ mignon.

World-Class Breakfast with Bordeaux Fruit Sauce, for Youann Gourcuff

1/2 cup fine red wine, like Bordeaux Superieur
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups pitted fresh cherries
1 large white nectarine, pitted, sliced
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
Finely grated zest of one orange or tangerine
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
1 Tbsp Amaretto liqueur
Euro-style vanilla or plain yogurt, or creme fraiche
Generous handful of roasted almonds, chopped
Brioche, lightly toasted and buttered

Combine wine and sugar in saucepan over low-medium heat. Cook until sugar dissolves then add cherries, cook for about 5 minutes. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium and add nectarine, spices, zest. Stir well, cook 5 more minutes or until thickened to a syrup. Remove from heat, add vanilla and Amaretto. Transfer to container, allow to cool, cover tightly. Refrigerate, ideally overnight. To serve breakfast, place fruit sauce in small bowls, top with cream and almonds. Enjoy brioche pieces for dipping. Yields 2 servings with leftovers for, tomorrow morning.

Where to shop ~ for specialty ingredients and pantry staples, I love Monsieur Marcel; for produce, Farm Fresh and Farm Boy Produce; for breads, Thee's Continental Pastries,
Monsieur Marcel, Breadworks. Beignets from Bob's Doughnuts may also be substituted for brioche in this recipe.

No comments: