Monday, June 21, 2010

If I were his World Cup Chef: Steven Gerrard (England)

This story is #13 of 32, in my "If I were their World Cup Chef" series. Each post honors one world football player from each of the 32 national teams at the 2010 World Cup in South Africa. As my muses, each inspires a recipe that I am privileged to offer as my gift ... to thank them for making the world more beautiful.

If you are following the Original LA Farmers Market/Monsieur Marcel recipe series, the end of recipe has grocery shopping tips.

England really needs a hero. It appears as though everyone is waiting for Wayne Rooney. Personally I’d love to see Liverpool’s midfielder Steven Gerrard do something memorable.

Their third captain named for this tournament (following a series of injuries to his predecessors), he does in fact believe England has a good chance of advancing to the next rounds. Some of us really hope they can work some serious magic against Slovenia on Wednesday. His is said to be “Hollywood style” football ~ that might help.

Maybe my virtual cheffing for him comes just in time, considering that the majority of my muses have done impressive things this last week!

I first fell in love with him during adidas’ Dream Big series in 2008. He was a surprise coach for the tiny Isles of Scilly children’s league, with whom he shared fish&chips after practice. After that long day, he appeared as the esteemed overnight guest at a child’s home. I once confessed my love for Steven Gerrard to some tour guests from Liverpool one weekend, and this husband of his newlywed wife promised me he loved Steven Gerrard more than I did.

From what I understand, he could very possibly be one of England’s most revered players, and citizens. Maybe it’s because he’s been only with Liverpool for his entire career. Maybe because he and his beautiful wife have two of the sweetest little girls and hearts melt when he is photographed with them, which I trust is often. Maybe because he met the Queen, and that just makes him all the more adorable.

He certainly enamored me when I learned he had bought his favorite restaurant of the last 11 years, just this spring. He even helped with handyman chores to build a wall, the day before it opened. He has also admitted that his favorite food is Italian.

Long before I wrote this story I knew what dish I would prepare for him, so I was very happy to learn he loved Italian.

If I were his World Cup Chef, my Frutti di Mare ~ Fruits of the Sea ~ would have to be it. His Warehouse Kitchen and Bar, newly opened last month, is neither the steaks&chop house I had expected, nor a fish&chips joint. Its menu is relatively high-end and was favorably reviewed by one of the region’s toughest food critics. While that may be true, his intention is to have it be a comfortable place that people love to visit over and again.

My sense is that an exquisite pasta dish that includes seafood might get his attention. Mine starts with tomatoes roasted with Italian bacon, so its mild smoky flavor renders some heartiness that he is very much worthy of. It might be something he’d opt to visit time and again, which it would be more than fine with me.

Frutti di Mare, for Steven Gerrard

1/4 lb. pancetta, diced
2 cups cherry tomatoes
Extra-virgin olive oil
1 red onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 16-oz can tomato sauce
6 Tbsp tomato paste
2 cups white wine
1/2 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves
1/2 tsp dried Italian seasoning
freshly ground sea salt, black pepper
1 tsp sugar
3 bay leaves
1 lb. fresh clams
1 lb. fresh mussels
1/2 lb. large shrimp, peeled, deveined
1/2 lb. large scallops, halved
1/2 lb. fresh halibut, cubed
1 lb. linguine pasta
Additional chopped parsley, olive oil

In shallow baking dish, place pancetta and cherry tomatoes. Drizzle with olive oil, roast in 400F oven 25-30 minutes. Coat bottom of large stovetop skillet generously with olive oil. Over low-medium heat, cook onion until very soft, about 20 minutes. Add garlic, cook 5 minutes more. Add tomato sauce, paste, wine, roasted tomatoes with pancetta. Stir well to combine. Add chopped parsley, herbs, salt, pepper, sugar, bay leaves. Simmer, stirring occasionally for at least one hour, adjusting seasonings to taste.

Prepare seafood while sauce simmers, about 20 minutes before serving ~ steam clams, mussels; saute’ shrimp, scallops, halibut in skillet in oil, salt, pepper until cooked, keep warm. Cook pasta according to package directions, drain. Stir cooked pasta, shrimp, scallops gently into sauce, heat through. Transfer to serving bowl, top with clams, mussels, halibut. Sprinkle with chopped parsley. Lightly drizzle with olive oil to serve. Yields 4 to 6 servings.


Where to shop ~
for specialty ingredients and pantry staples, I love
Monsieur Marcel
for produce, Farm Fresh and Farm Boy Produce
for breads, Thee's Continental Pastries,
Monsieur Marcel, Breadworks
for fresh seafood, Bob Tusquellas Seafood Market
for meats, Huntington Meats, Marconda's Meats
for things hot, Light My Fire

No comments: