Monday, June 21, 2010

If I were their Emergency World Cup Chef: Equipe France

I cannot bear the idea that France will leave the World Cup on the note they played this weekend.

Many of you know that I've said before, and it's still true, when I'm hurting I do two things ~ pray and cook. Usually both at the same time. Today, I am mildly hurting for France and for my beautiful French friends and extended family.

And ~ for Youann Gourcuff (foto) because he deserves much better, I think, than to be sent home because his teammates, especially certain veterans, are behaving and playing very badly.

Tomorrow morning (my time; 7am to be exact), France faces elimination due to poor performance in their first two matches, the first with Uruguay (0-0) and the second with Mexico (0-2). While I am doing my best to be as neutral as I can be for this duration, what with being inspired by 32 national muses in my series and all, I still feel for France.

I have also been asked by one of my best French friends to please, please, please write about this and make something delicious for them. Just something simple. Just something to make them behave better, he pleaded. For their fans. And certainly for their flag. (And, for him to eat.)

When people behave badly, it's because they are in pain. While I cannot understand or relate to their pain, I know that they need comfort even though it appears they certainly don't deserve it.

I have to do this. Some players like Diego Forlan, David Villa, and Lio Messi have done great things since they've been my muses! Even Vincenzo Iaquinta scored Italy's only goal the other day, and Kaka's Brazil is doing well with his help. Well except with that red card he got Sunday. Oh never mind.

We just think some magic could conceivably happen if I went into the kitchen for France tonight.

In my experience, chocolate cake does wonders. Chocolate in general does wonders.

Sometimes when my life is seemingly out of whack, I make a chocolate cake because it just seems like the right thing to do. This morning we had leftover coffee from breakfast, and I kept it because, I would need it in case I needed to make a chocolate cake later.

Voila
, now I do.

If I were their Emergency World Cup Chef, I would serve one of my most delicious and popular chocolate cakes made into dark, rich, chocolate cupcakes. That way everyone has their own designated share which ought to yield their playing nicely. Knowing that something needs to be added to make these special, I would drop a small chunk of French chocolate into the center of each just before they came out of the oven. The chocolate would melt into an oozy, yummy center and, there'd be no need for icing to top them after all. They'd be best served warm, not long after they baked.

Which is when I would serve them and that is because, like I said the last time there was an emergency "If I were their Chef" situation ~ when someone(s) need(s) tender loving care ~ and contrary to what is written and said about France right now, they do need just that ~ you want to provide it as soon as possible.

Chocolate-chocolate-filled Cupcakes, for Equipe France

1 cup flour
1/2 cup fine, unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
1 egg
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup warm or cold strong coffee
1 fine French chocolate bar, like Valhrona, broken in 12 pieces

Preheat oven to 350F. Line 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners.

Sift together first 6 ingredients into large mixing bowl. In separate medium bowl, combine oil, vanilla, egg, and milk. Stir into dry ingredients. When just blended, add coffee and stir until all ingredients are well incorporated.

Spoon batter evenly into muffin cups, and bake for 20 minutes. Remove pan from oven, and gently insert a piece of chocolate into the center of each cupcake. Return to oven and bake 5 more minutes, or until tester inserted in side of cupcake comes out clean.

Serve warm.

Yields 12 cupcakes ~ one for each of France's starting 11, and one for Coach Domenech.

No comments: