Friday, June 25, 2010

If I were his World Cup Chef: Thomas Sorensen (Denmark)

This story is #15 of 32, in my "If I were their World Cup Chef" series. Each post honors one world football player from each of the 32 national teams at the 2010 World Cup in South Africa. As my muses, each inspires a recipe that I am privileged to offer as my gift ... to thank them for making the world more beautiful.

If you are following the Original LA Farmers Market/Monsieur Marcel recipe series, the end of recipe has grocery shopping tips.

Since Denmark has joined my first two loves having returned to their respective homeland(s), I half-thought of just making something for the Danish team to console them. However, that would not resonate with my intention to honor one player alone as my muse.

Not being that well acquainted with Denmark's team at all, I just went through the FIFA team roster to see who got my attention first. How telling. Goalkeepers are listed at the top. I have not mused over a goalkeeper yet.

Until now.

Thomas Sorensen almost didn't make the starting 11 for his national team in this World Cup, having suffered a dislocated elbow this last April in a match between his current English Premier League club Stoke City, and Chelsea. He was in such pain after another player slid into his arm, he had to leave the field with an oxygen mask. He didn't require surgery and, ends his story to say that he is grateful he doesn't have to have his elbow re-located every day, seeming to indicate that it wasn't his favorite way to spend a day. He is equally grateful that he won the race against time and made it as a starter for his second World Cup.

Love an attitude like that.

Denmark's run in the tournament had its own challenges besides clashing with world-class opponents like the Netherlands (and, finally being surprised and ousted by Japan).

He was not likely the only one that had strong opinions about the vuvuzuelas which caused a constant high-pitched din throughout the matches, and it forced him and others to be clever about their strategies. The goalkeeper must shout commands to his defenders, especially when a 'wall' is created to block free kicks by their opponent. The strategies usually take place in the moment on the field but, these matches in South Africa forced players to be more creative and forward-thinking with planning before the matches. While on the field, Sorensen needed to use eye contact and sign language to communicate since his shouts could not be heard.

He probably wished he could have communicated telepathically. I could have helped him with that.

Meanwhile, his vacation gets an extension which I trust he may also be grateful for ~ he might appreciate the rest before he and Stoke City get back to work. While he's relaxing with she-or-they-who-are-in-his-life (I could not find any information about the personal Mr. Sorensen), I think he would enjoy this recipe that I just love.

If I were his World Cup Chef (or, had I been his World Cup Chef), for breakfast or dessert I would serve something reminiscent of my favorite Danish dining experience ever. Year ago, on the way to San Luis Obispo one weekend, my friends and I stopped to eat at Andersen's in Buellton. Their cherry bread pudding, made with day-old Danish topped with homemade cherry sauce, was so incredibly delicious, we stopped on the way back to have more. I had the cookbook and recipe at one time, but here is my rendition which is not quite the same but, really quite good.

It ought to help cure whatever ill might be lingering for my handsome hero ~ elbow or, heart.

Danish Bread Pudding with Summer Berry Sauce, for Thomas Sorensen

4 day-old Danish (fruit-in-center) pastries
2 cups whole milk
3 eggs
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup water
3 cups fresh berries, any variety
1 tsp cornstarch
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 tsp vanilla
2 tsp Amaretto or Frangelico liqueur
1 tsp butter
2 cups fresh berries

Preheat oven to 375F and coat glass square baking dish with cooking spray. In large bowl, tear pastries into pieces, stir with milk. Add eggs one at a time, combine well. Transfer to baking dish. Bake for 30 minutes and allow to cool slightly. Make berry sauce while pudding bakes.

In small saucepan, cook sugar in water until dissolved. Pour simple syrup over pint of berries; mash berries. Press through fine sieve into small saucepan, discard solids. Over medium flame, stir pureed berries with cornstarch, cinnamon, lemon juice until thickened. Remove from heat, add vanilla, liqueur. Swirl in butter then stir in fresh berries. Spoon pudding into serving dishes, top with warm fruit sauce. May be served cold and/or as a breakfast meal. Yields 6-8 servings.


Where to shop ~
for specialty ingredients and pantry staples, I love
Monsieur Marcel
for produce, Farm Fresh and Farm Boy Produce
for breads/pastries, Thee's Continental Pastries,
Monsieur Marcel, Breadworks
for fresh seafood, Bob Tusquellas Seafood Market
for meats, Huntington Meats, Marconda's Meats
for things hot, Light My Fire

No comments: