Tuesday, June 15, 2010

If I were his World Cup Chef: Diego Forlan (Uruguay)

This story is #11 of 32, in my "If I were their World Cup Chef" series. Each post honors one world football player from each of the 32 national teams at the 2010 World Cup in South Africa. As my muses, each inspires a recipe that I am privileged to offer as my gift ... to thank them for making the world more beautiful.

Uruguay’s Diego Forlan, who is tearing up the World Cup right now, seems like one of my angels on earth.

Launching my brilliant 32 stories-32 muses-32 recipes idea while knowing nothing about most World Cup nationals, caused me mild panic. A last-minute tour guest ~ from Uruguay ~ recommended a certain Diego Forlan. Just then, GOLTV launched their fabulous series, The Sacred Game and, there’s Diego Forlan.

My ‘blond-maned’ muse, son of a Uruguayan football legend and grandson of an Argentine player, has been called lots of things ~ deadly finisher, menace, genuine threat in the air and, Cachavacha since he resembles the Argentine cartoon character.

He kicks explosively with both feet for Spain’s Atletico Madrid, whom he recently led to win UEFA Europa League. He has won the Golden Shoes twice, as the most prolific striker of European clubs.

One of international sports' superheroes, he is universally admired for his simple character and strong values, especially regarding relationships. Family is a paramount priority in his life. On his website, I expected to learn more about the personal Diego. The pages were mostly about those he generously shares his time, energy, and resources with ... not the least of which is UNICEF, as their Ambassador of Uruguay.

Honoring his handicapped sister, he founded his family’s Foundation Alejandra Forlan; she was seriously injured in an accident when he was 10. Alejandra is an inspiration to him and he lovingly works to reciprocate her sharing strength during his own difficult passages. Together, brother and sister support and raise funds for causes and issues related to girls and women, teenagers, and those physically challenged/wheelchair bound.

This young man of 31 is clearly an angel-in-skin for wordly reasons and, I feel another personal connection to him ~ mostly regarding gratitude ~ that feels almost magical.

For ten years, I have longed for a recipe for garbanzo bean flour bread that I loved at an exquisite Tuscan trattoria, my first time in Italy. I’d lost hope finding one. Researching Uruguayan cuisine, I learned that one of their signatures is faina’. Faina' is exactly that bread which recipe seemed to elude me, until now.

Uruguay is tucked neatly between Brazil and Argentina, with spectacular beach resorts that rival those in Europe. 88% of the population is of European/Mediterranean descent. Italian foods, especially pasta and pizza, are extremely popular.

Which explains why northern Italy’s faina’ lives there. This thin, peppery bread is typically served on top of a pizza slice.

If I were his World Cup Chef, I’d nix that pizza idea because hmmmm, I've seen this man's abs. He might be more inclined toward a classy steak salad with this local bread.

Faina' would make a fabulous bed for a green feast studded with filet mignon, mildly reminiscent of a popular Uruguayan chivito (sandwich). Mine would favor Italian, because I'd want to share part of my heart with him.

I'd love to thank this beautiful man for all the ways he makes a difference, just by showing up in life.

Especially in mine.

Steak Salad on Faina’, for Diego Forlan

1 1/4 cups garbanzo bean flour
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 tsp white or black pepper
1 1/4 cups water, divided (1 + 1/4 cups)
2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
Mixed greens ~ arugula, radicchio, baby lettuces
1 heirloom tomato, chopped
2 slices bacon, cooked, crumbled
Additional extra-virgin olive oil
2 small filet mignon, grilled, thinly sliced
Balsamic vinegar reduction (see method)
Parmeggiano-Reggiano cheese, shaved

Prepare faina’ ~
  • Whisk together first 5 ingredients. Mix in 1 cup water, blend well. Let rest 1/2 hour.
  • Preheat oven to 450F. Coat 9" or 10" ovenproof skillet or pizza pan with 2 Tbsp oil. Place pan in oven for about 8-10 minutes.
  • Stir remaining 1/4 cup water into batter. Pour thin batter into hot pan, return to oven.
  • Bake 10-12 minutes until lightly browned at edges and dry on top.
Boil 2 cups balsamic vinegar for 5-7 minutes in saucepan, until reduced to thick syrup.

Cut bread into quarters for salad bed, place piece(s) on serving plates. Toss greens, tomato, bacon with olive oil. Place on plates, top with steak slices. Drizzle salads with balsamic reduction, top with shaved cheese. Yields 2-4 servings.

Where to shop ~
for specialty ingredients and pantry staples, I love
Monsieur Marcel
for produce, Farm Fresh and Farm Boy Produce
for breads, Thee's Continental Pastries,
Monsieur Marcel, Breadworks
for fresh seafood, Bob Tusquellas Seafood Market
for meats, Huntington Meats, Marconda's Meats
for things hot, Light My Fire

No comments: